Artichoke Extract (Luteolin)
The artichoke is one of the most amazing and photogenic vegetables around. Images of artichokes appeared in many paintings, writers glorified them in their works, and in general – they make delicious dishes from them, collect beautiful bouquets and make tea.
Although considered a vegetable, artichoke is a type of milk thistle. This plant originated in the Mediterranean and has been used as a cure for centuries. Artichokes help lower blood sugar and improve digestion; good for the heart and liver.
In addition to its charming appearance, the artichoke is a storehouse of vitamins and amino acids necessary for a person. Read about the most useful benefits of artichoke in our article.
What is Artichoke Extract?
Artichoke extract is a supplement that is gaining popularity in the nootropic community. All thanks to their abilities to improve emotional well-being and develop cognitive abilities.
Artichoke extract is an extract of the leaf, stem and root of the Cynara scolymus or Cynara cardunculus plant. Artichoke extract has been used as a digestive aid for many years. But more recently, it has been used to treat liver disease, weight loss, and infections.
Although artichoke extract contains many compounds that have a beneficial effect. There are two that are responsible for positive effects on mood and brain function: luteolin and inulin.
- Inulin is a prebiotic fiber that stimulates the growth of good bacteria in the intestines. There is a link between gut health and cognitive function, mood, and the ability to cope with stress.
- Luteolin is a flavonoid or secondary metabolite of the artichoke. Substances based on it have been used in traditional Chinese medicine to treat various diseases.
How artichoke extract works
It is is a powerful prebiotic. Within each of our digestive tracts, there are trillions of bacteria and other microorganisms known as the gut microbiome. The more common term for these bacteria is prebiotics. They can also be taken in supplement form.
Prebiotics are components of some plant foods. They feed these bacteria, increasing their health benefits. Artichoke extract is rich in inulin, an inedible starch with a strong prebiotic effect.
In just this century, researchers have discovered that these tiny organisms do much more for our health and well-being than we thought, especially when it comes to mood, energy, and brain function.
When your bacteria get sick and begin to get infected with disease-causing bacteria, you experience problems such as brain fog, depression, stress, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, memory impairments, and weight gain.
But when you maintain a healthy gastrointestinal tract by promoting the development of your commensurate bacteria, you are improving the health of your gut microbiome. One way to do this is by taking prebiotics like inulin. This allows populations of healthy bacteria to grow in our body. When you increase the number of good bacteria in your gut, you will experience an increase in energy, mental clarity, a boost in your mood, and more.
These benefits are mainly because bacteria in your gut are capable of making chemical compounds similar to neurotransmitters that are created in your brain. For example, bacteria in the gut make more serotonin than the brain (roughly 90% of the body’s serotonin is produced in the digestive tract), which helps you feel happy and optimistic.
One way to promote the health of your gut microbiome is to consume prebiotic foods and prebiotics, as they help the good bacteria grow.
Luteolin antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent.
Luteolin is a flavonoid found in artichokes. It is considered one of the main compounds that provide many of the health benefits of artichoke. Research shows it helps fight inflammation throughout the body, especially in the brain, thanks in large part to its powerful antioxidant properties.
In addition, some inflammatory compounds lead to decreased neurogenesis (the growth of new brain cells) in the hippocampus. This is the area of the brain that is primarily responsible for memory and learning abilities. By protecting against neuroinflammation, luteolin is thought to help protect neurogenesis by providing neuroprotective effects.
Artichoke Extract Top 6 Picks
- What is Artichoke? - Artichokes are low in fat while rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Particularly high in folate and vitamins C and K, they also supply important minerals, such as magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and iron.*
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY METABOLISM AND DIGESTION – Vitapia Artichoke Leaf is Non-GMO, Artichoke Leaf Extract Supplement. This supplement has been shown to support healthy digestive function and metabolism.*
- MANUFACTURED IN USA - All our products are manufactured in the USA, approved, and inspected, state-of-the-art facility, with strict adherence to current Good Manufacturing Practices.*
- 100% RISK FREE! MONEYBACK GUARANTEE - If for any reason at all you are unhappy with your purchase, you’ll receive a no questions asked money back guarantee within 30 days.*
- 100% NATURAL: Artichoke Extract Supports Optimal Bile Flow Naturally. Artichoke extract by AMG Naturals contains natural artichoke bitters, which are known to support the digestion and the liver function. The extract is standardized to cynarin. Vegan artichoke extract capsules without magnesium stearate and silicon dioxide
- NO HARM: Artichoke Extract by AMG Contains Glucuronic Acid. Our artichoke extract is free from gluten, lactose, fructose, preservatives, yeast, soy, pesticides, fungicides, fertilizers, dyes, harmful stabilizers, and genetic engineering (non-GMO). VEGAN artichoke capsules without animal-based ingredients!
- PREMIUM HEALTH: Artichoke Extract Capsules Support Optimal Liver Detoxification. We refrain from using any additives or excipients in our products. The only exception is cellulose. We use it, where necessary, as a filler in our capsules and tablets
- DIGESTION: Artichoke Extract Has Been Used As A Digestive Remedy Since 400BC. Pure substances are especially popular with those who are sensitive and have allergies, as they are free from any respective allergens
- HIGH QUALITY: Our purity principle forbids us from using anti-caking agents, sweeteners, colorants, thickeners, stabilizers or any other additive often used to simplify the manufacturing process or give the product an attractive color. For this reason AMG Naturals products are hypoallergenic and suitable for extra sensitive individuals
- Artichoke extract is standardized to 6% caffeoylquinic acids.
- Supports digestion.
- Natural Effective supplements to promote strong functioning liver with milk thistle dandelion root artichoke beet root yarrow & chicory root all known for promoting healthy liver function
- Natural detox cleanse capsules reduce bloating while increasing blood flow for greater cognitive function. Effective pills for liver support. Supplements protect liver health.
- Milk thistle ingredient in complex known to nourish & help repair liver - Natural capsules stimulate new liver cell production - Milk thistle may lower cholesterol while improving skin health with anti-aging properties
- Dandelion root used as digestive tonic or skin toner & also supports urinary tract health - Artichoke provides liver support while stimulating blood flow from the liver & reduces hangovers
- Antioxidant filled complex contains rich ingredients to detox cleanse colon & body - Pure capsules promote healthy blood flow & immune system
- The Premium Choice - NutraChamps’ premium Liver Cleanse is a true breakthrough supplement that delivers one of the most comprehensive formulas on the market today. Addressing all areas of liver health from detoxification and cleansing, to regeneration, repair and daily support, this is a one-stop-shop for tip-top liver function.
- So Much More Than Milk Thistle - On your search for the top liver supplement, you’ll want to choose a supplement like NutraChamps’ that includes an 80% silymarin level. But don’t just rely on Milk Thistle when nature has provided us with so much more to support your liver’s health! Cleansing superstars like dandelion, artichoke, and yellow dock root are just a few of the other antioxidants in our blend that help deliver you the best detox you can get.
- Deep Detox Delivered - Did you know that your liver is the largest internal organ in the human body? When it comes to picking the right supplement, don’t treat the decision lightly! Boasting over 25 of nature’s most effective liver detoxifiers, NutraChamps’ complete formula delivers a truly deep cleanse that will leave you feeling refreshed and ready.
- Scientifically Formulated - Our advanced liver cleanse formula is loaded with the best liver-supporters that nature has to offer. Our process is simple - we look at what works in nature and where it grows best, and we go and get it from there. Looking for a truly deep cleanse? NutraChamps checks all the boxes you're looking for - Don’t settle for products that cut corners and leave out vital nutrients that can help you achieve the results you need.
- Gentle Daily Cleanse - A healthy liver is key to releasing more energy for other organs in your body to digest nutrients, rid toxins, and function better. The herbs in this extra strength complex work in harmony to revitalize and take a load off your liver so that it can work at its fullest potential. Benefits include reduced feelings of sluggishness, increased immune support, energy and vitality.
Nootropic properties of artichoke
1.Improves memory and learning
Artichoke extract, thanks to its high content of inulin and luteolin, improves memory and learning ability.
One double-blind, placebo-controlled human study of 47 participants examined the effect of inulin on memory.5 grams of inulin or placebo was given to the participants over two control days, divided by two weeks. Inulin was found to improve episodic memory performance and memorization efficiency, compared to placebo.
In animal studies, luteolin has shown impressive anti-inflammatory properties. In these studies, the reduction in neuroinflammation due to luteolin was accompanied by improvements in memory and knowledge in elderly and healthy mice. It is likely that these benefits could extend to humans, but more research is needed.
The mood benefits of artichoke extract are largely due to its prebiotic content. Prebiotic foods and supplements have shown the ability to alter our emotional well-being, so it’s no surprise that artichoke extract helps improve our mood.
In the same study that looked at inulin and memory, inulin was found to improve participants’ well-being on the day they took cognitive laboratory tests, compared to placebo.
Because inulin contributes to the formation of a healthy gut microbiome, it brings even greater benefits to emotional well-being.
Dosage, safety and precautions
While artichoke contains a lot of nutrients, artichoke extract contains the same nutrients in a more concentrated form.
Besides its nootropic properties, it also lowers cholesterol levels. There is no recommended dosage for artichoke extract nootropic use, however 320-640 mg three times daily was used for indigestion studies and 250-960 mg twice daily for high cholesterol.
Due to its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and chelating properties, research has shown that artichoke extract and its compounds can help protect the brain from damage.
By stimulating optimal brain health, people will be able to experience an overall increase in their brain performance across a wide range of tasks. You may notice an increase in stress tolerance, an improvement in well-being, an improvement in memory and learning ability.